Thursday 30 May 2013

You Can't be Bored in London

This past weekend was a bank holiday in England and for once it was actually warm (relatively) and sunny (mostly).
I was originally supposed to be working the weekend so I hadn't made any fun plans to go anywhere or do anything, then the schedule changed and I found myself searching for some kind of last minute entertainment. 
While on a Saturday long run I came across the London Hula Hoop Festival at the Mile End Art Pavilion but decided against joining in. On this same run I could hear music coming from Victoria Park, turns out it was Field Day Festival, but as I generally run without money in my pocket I couldn't get a ticket.
You just can't say that you are bored in London.

You can however say that you are broke. I say it often. I recently came across A Cheapskates Guide to Los Angeles and was inspired, so instead of shelling out tons of cash going to a festival or other touristy attraction, I accepted an invitation from my local Canadian Meetup group to join them on Primrose Hill for a picnic. If you don't know, Meetup is a website that allows people with a common interest to form groups and arrange get togethers IRL. I've joined the Canadians in London group, because sometimes it's just nice to talk about Canadian things and hear a familiar accent (even if it's distinctly French Canadian or Newfoundland). You can also find these kinds of groups on Facebook or even with the Instragram community. Moving to a new city or county can be a lonely thing sometimes, I highly recommend searching out these kinds of groups, if for nothing else, a little bit of human contact once in a while.


We had great weather for the picnic, even if it was a bit chilly and windy on the hill. But the view of the city was worth it.






We weren't the only ones with this idea.


This sums up the weather; one guy laying out without a shirt on, the other putting on a sweater.


What are your plans for this weekend?


Fun travels!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, I got an email about the Canadian meet-up and thought about going but decided to chill out a home instead. I agree, you can't get bored in London. There is just so much to see and do. I did not know about Instagram community. I will check that out ~ thanks for the link. I have no big plans for this weekend but I am sure I will find something fun to do. Hoping for good weather. What will you be up to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina,
    The picnic was a good time, if you could brave the wind on top of Primrose Hill. I also don't have plans this weekend because I will be working both days. Who knows, maybe something spontaneous will come up...

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...