Tuesday 12 July 2016

Donkey Day at the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada

Donkey Day at the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada is a annual fundraiser that takes place each summer to help raise money and awareness for donkeys, mules, and hinnies in need.
Missed Donkey Day? No worries, they have open days every Sunday 10-3pm throughout the year and Wednesdays 10-3pm in July and August. 

Although, located just outside of Guelph, my Alma Mater, I had yet to visit the sanctuary. This year I made arrangements for my mum and our family friend to make a day of it heading over as soon as they opened on Donkey Day.

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

On this day there were lots to see and do; starting with the Donkey Marketplace. Selling gift shop items and artisan crafts. 

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

We attended a few talks about the history of the sanctuary, the behaviour of donkeys, proper foot care, and the background of these beasts of burden.

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

When I mentioned to people that I was heading to Donkey Day so many of them were surprised there was such a need for a place like this. Tbh I was too, but didn't question it as long as it meant I got to pat a soft animal.

I learned however, that these animals, although similar looking to horses, have very different needs. They are desert animals that do better in drier, warmer climates. Most often today, farms get the donkeys because they make great guard animals of herds, and are good companion animals. But sometimes due to circumstance, they are unable to do what they were acquired to do and they are sold off, mistreated or ill cared for. This is where the DSC steps in and is currently the home of over 80 donkeys, mules (donkey father, horse mother), and hinnies (donkey mother and horse father).

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

After having been there for a few hours, we started to get hungry. There were a few food trucks there and interestingly enough they were all vegetarian/vegan. I had myself a vegan dog with maple 'bacon' from Rescue Dogs and guess what? It was delicious.

{Erin Out and About} Donkey Day

Looking for a different kind of gift for someone this year? Why not sponsor a donkey! For only $50 your sponsorship will cover the costs of the animal's care and help the day to day operations of the Sanctuary. Look at that little face, how could you not?



I would love to visit the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada again on a regular day to get more donkey attention and pats. But I am glad to have finally made it to a Donkey Day, it was very educational and the animals were precious.

Now when people are surprised that a Donkey Sanctuary exists in Ontario, I can inform them that there is indeed a need here.


Don't miss a post! 
Sign up for email posts (found on the sidebar), like my facebook page, or follow me on bloglovin'. You can also keep up with my instagram feed and I occasionally tweet.

Let's get social

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...