Tuesday 5 November 2013

Remember, Remember

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...


Today is Guy Fawkes Night in Britain. It's a night when people gather outside watching flames of a giant bonfire, a burning effigy and ohh and ahh at fireworks. 
*alter brief history lesson to follow*
On November 5, 1605 there was an attempt made on King James I of England's life known as the Gunpowder Treason Plot. Lead by Robert Catesby a group of English Catholics set out to blow up the House of Lords on the State Opening of England's Parliament. The plot was discovered and Guy Fawkes was arrested while guarding the 36 barrels of gunpowder under the House of Lords.  Most of the conspirators were captured, tried, and found guilty of treason. Observance of the 5 November (the Thanksgiving Act) has been around since 1606 but didn't become a non-violent, non-religious/political, social commemoration until the 20th century, though some might argue it has lost its original intent.

Over the weekend I did my part in ohhing and ahhing at Guy Fawkes fireworks as I gathered with friends on cold and very blustery Blackheath.  (and I have the blurring pictures to prove it!) There was a fun fair, food stalls, beer stand and even an ice cream truck (with a queue and all!) We enjoyed food and drinks at a friend's house nearby before heading to the heath with the throngs of other firework ohhers and ahhers. We huddled together as the wind whipped around us while we waiting for the show to begin. Someone had said that, "it just doesn't feel like Guy Fawkes Night if you aren't so cold it hurts." We can certainly check that box.











Fun travels!

1 comment:

  1. It was cold! Not Canada cold but still cold enough. I think I have become a wimp about the cold since moving here. Your photos turned out good. I love the last one. I had one good shot in the group of 10 or so pictures I took. Fireworks are not easy to photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...