Tuesday 15 October 2013

An Edinburgh Kind of Afternoon

As a kid, my mum and I used to play this game in the car. It was a simple game, often very repetitive and I think drove my dad nuts. The gist of the game was my mum would say a food item and match it with ketchup, ie. ketchup and donughts and we'd both go, "EWWWWW!"  Try it! Hours of fun. This brings me to something that's on most tourist lists when visiting Scotland; Battered Mars Bar.

Our guide from the Rabbie's tour had mentioned it and I thought, "Hey, why not?" So the following day my friend and I decided to head to lovely Edinburgh for the afternoon.

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

We arrived around lunch time so to save a few quid we picked up a few items at M&S and headed to Calton Hill for a picnic.  With great views of the city around us and with beautiful blue skies we munched, chatted and people watched.

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

Arthur's Seat in the background, I could see tons of tiny little dots of people at the top. I'm sure the view from there is even better, but not something we were quite willing to do on this day (especially since my friend is 7 months pregnant).

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon
The Palace of Holyroodhouse
We packed up our garbage and headed to the Royal Mile in search of our Scottish delight. We didn't have to look too far as the first shop we came to had it listed on their menu. We went in and placed our order.

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon and Deep Fried Mars Bar

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon and Deep Fried Mars Bar
might I point out that the sausage, hamburger, and pizza pictured here are all deep fried too.

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon and Deep Fried Mars Bar

The tour guide had suggested trying it with salt and vinegar, which we all eww'd at, but now having tried it, I can see how those flavours would work well together, but I didn't got for it on this occasion.

{ErinOutandAbout} Edinburgh Afternoon and Deep Fried Mars Bar
All in all, I'd get it again, not anytime soon, but I would definitely have it again.



What’s your most favourite odd food combination?



Fun travels!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect day to me! And that sandwich looks yummy!
    I love the sandwiches sold in places like Tesco, I bet they are bad for me though :/!!
    Have a great week,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. I'm not sure...but maybe how desserts in some countries like in Asia are not so 'sweet' like they are in America and Europe. It took some getting used too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...