Thursday 2 May 2013

To Market, To Market: Piccadilly Market

I came across the Piccadilly Market quite by accident one day a couple weeks ago. It is quaintly located in the churchyard of St. James' Church on Piccadilly and is open Monday-Saturday with a different focus each day; Monday is a food market 11-5, Tuesday is antiques and collectables 10-6, and Wednesday-Saturday is arts and crafts 10-6. (These pictures were taken on a Saturday.)





 Once you are done wandering the market and wishing you had a bottomless wallet, you can take a tour of the church itself which was designed by the Royal favourite, Sir Christopher Wren (He also designed St. Paul's Cathedral in London and The Royal Naval College in Greenwich to name just a couple).






 As I sat on a bench and watched people milling about the courtyard, some taking interest in the goods others just enjoying the sun and the warming weather, I heard the most beautiful choral music coming from inside the church. It didn't occur to me that it would be a real choir until the mass ended and they filed out clad in robes. 
I would recommend a visit to this market for the music alone.



On a different note, but still worth a visit is Fortnum and Mason found just up the block from the market. If you have a few pretty red bills to burn (that's the 50 pound note) then you can pop in and pick up a couple groceries for the week. Let's just look at some of the pretty, pretty things there.



Several displays from the store; window, tea, and perfume.


Everything was just so pleasing to look at and tempting. I thought it would definitely have been a place my dad would like to visit (he's a bit of a foodie like me)


Forget radio background music, now you can ignore live piano playing in the lobby of the restaurant while you nibble finger sandwiches and sip tea while your personal shopper picks out a new wardrobe for you.

I love popcorn! I couldn't believe this microwaveable popcorn comes still on the cob! And what made me giggle about the Vermont Maple Syrup is that it's a product of Canada. (How does that work exactly?)


 Lastly a display of Heinz Beanz. I guess even rich people like to enjoy beans on toast every once in a while.

(you know I went home with that corn on the cob popcorn)





Fun travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...