Tuesday 22 July 2014

Stone Carvings of Palais des Papes

Gothic architecture in religious dwellings has distinct characteristic features making identification easy. There is an emphasis on height and light with the use of pointed arches and flying buttresses. Gargoyles and stone carvings are some of the only decorative elements of these buildings. Looking up the walls and spotting these funny little creatures; animals, grotesque figures, and mythical figures. I was enthralled by all the different carvings and snapped every one I came across. I would love to know more about these carvings and what they represent or symbolize. I think I have some home work to do, in the mean time enjoy the mini photo college.







My favourite one.







Missed it? Here are the links to my other posts about this trip.










Fun travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...